Texas Public Power Association Enters 43rd Year with New Leadership
The Texas Public Power Association (TPPA) announced the election of new officers to lead the organization in the year ahead and presented public service and industry excellence awards at its Annual Business and Membership Meeting today. The state trade Association – the voice of public power across Texas – has a membership composed of municipally-owned electric utilities, electric cooperatives, river authorities and joint action agencies responsible for the generation and delivery of electricity to more than 5 million Texans.
The Association’s Nominating Committee recommended the following new officer slate, which was adopted by the membership:
- President – Jeff Janke, General Manager & CEO, Garland Power & Light
- President-Elect – Alicia Hooks, General Manager, GEUS
- Vice President – Ian Taylor, CEO, New Braunfels Utilities
- Secretary/Treasurer – Mike Wittler, General Manager & CEO, Kerrville PUB
- Past President – Kent Myers, City Manager, Fredericksburg
These leaders compose the Association’s executive committee and will serve for one year in these leadership positions.
New board president Jeff Janke, General Manager & CEO of Garland Power & Light, said, “It is a pleasure to lead our industry Association. In the year ahead, public power will continue to work safely and efficiently to provide critical electricity supplies during the coronavirus pandemic. Cybersecurity preparedness is another priority for our membership. And as always, our 72 community-owned utilities share the commitment of delivering safe, affordably priced, and reliable power to the 5 million Texans we are privileged to serve.”
The Nominations Committee recommends that the following be appointed to an unexpired term expiring in 2022:
- Jeff Thompson, Assistant City Manager & General Manager of Utilities, Boerne
The Nominations Committee recommended that the following individuals be appointed to serve three-year board terms expiring in 2023:
- Daniel Bethapudi, General Manager, Georgetown Utility Systems
- Gaylynn Burris, Mayor, Bowie
- James Fisher, City Manager, Brenham
- James Hotopp, City Manager, Weatherford
- Steve Parker, City Manager, Seguin
The membership also re-elected the following board members to serve three-year board terms expiring in 2023:
- John Bruciak, General Manager & CEO, Brownsville PUB
- Mike Wittler, General Manager & CEO, Kerrville PUB
TPPA presents awards and recognition annually for management excellence, individual accomplishments and public service leadership awards for elected officials. This year’s awards and recipients were:
- Distinguished Service Award presented for continuous service to the industry and TPPA, presented to Ron Bowman, a longtime TPPA board member and past president, retired as City Manager in June 2020, Boerne
- System Achievement Award for management excellence and customer service, awarded to CPS Energy led by Paula Gold-Williams, CEO.
- Paula J. DiFonzo Industry Achievement Award recognizes women who have made significant individual contributions to the electric utility industry was awarded to Renee Shelton, Electric Utility Board Member, GEUS
- Gary Brown Service Award for outstanding leadership and dedication to a utility by an official of a TPPA member system was awarded to Jeff Thompson, Deputy City Manager & General Manager of Utilities, Boerne
- TPPA Honor Roll Award recognizing continuous and extraordinary service to the industry by an official of a TPPA member system or corporate member, awarded to Lance Pettigrew, P.E., President, Schneider Engineering, Ltd.
- Public Service Award presented to an elected official for meritorious service within the recipient’s hometown utility and municipality, awarded to Gaylynn Burris, Mayor, City of Bowie
- TPPA 2020 Public Service Leadership Award was presented to U.S. Congressman Bill Flores (R-Bryan), who is retiring after 10 years of distinguished service, recognizing outstanding service to his district and the state’s citizens.